"We, the people of South Africa, Recognise the injustices of our past; Honour those who suffered for justice and freedom in our land; Respect those who have worked to build and develop our country; and Believe that South Africa belongs to all who live in it, united in our diversity.” Preamble to the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.

Friday 30 December 2011

How many more must die?

This week another South African gay teen committed suicide. Being a teen is never easy, but being a teen in a heterocentric culture is exponentially harder. I remember too well the hopelessness suffered as a gay teen. We need to do more as society to help teenagers come to terms with their identity. Society as a whole needs to change, and we need to emphasize the unique responsibility facing humanity and the ethical consequences of human decisions. We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if our norms cause some such despair that they see suicide as their only option.

2 comments:

  1. I do believe that we need to show these gay teens that no matter what we all have choices. I had very painful experiences during school for being different. But deep down I knew I had choices because my parents always let me know that. No matter what, you have a choice to set your life into a different direction.

    While we hope for society to change, we could also look at making teens see what power they do have even in such tough situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it ranges beyond teens. Men in our community succumb to suicide out of despair. When did we start becoming so detached from one another that that disparity increases a feeling of solidarity? I guess it begs the questions "What have I done lately to make someone feel more welcome and more part of something? And what have I done lately to exclude someone for whatever reason?"

    It starts with having each others backs... as homosexuals and fellow South Africans.

    ReplyDelete